Mobile usage and search is on the increase.
Our previous article on mobile usage in South Africa provides some indication of mobile usage and the increase in search via mobile app is on the rise. As more people use mobile devices as their main mode of online search and commercial transactions,so the importance of mobile SEO increases.
A basic definition of mobile SEO is ” Mobile SEO describes the activity of doing search engine optimization to increase your website’s visibility in mobile searches” . (http://www.mobify.com/insights/what-is-mobile-seo/) One should also bear in mind that search is the most common activity on mobile devices like cell phones – and Google and other search engines have begun to favour websites that are designed to accommodate mobile search and viewing.
Here are some pointers to keep in mind when optimizing your site for mobile search and viewing.
- Remove mobile popups that can obscure the rest of your site on a mobile device.
- This also applies to all Flash elements on your site – Flash usage is also seen as not being good SEO practice in general as search engines cannot index Flash elements.
- Don’t water down your content for mobile usage – make sure that your content is the same on both versions of your site.
- Remember that content is at the centre of all online marketing and optimization – and this applies even more to mobile SEO. Simply stated, the more useful, interesting and appropriate your content, the more people and search engines will visit your site.
- The importance of social media sharing and bookmarking increases in the mobile context as social media is fully integrated into the mobile environment.