Don’t forget to download your free eBook on Website promotion
- The first step in website promotion and marketing is to make sure that your site will be well received by checking for consistency and logical construction. What this means is that you should test your site from the viewer’s perspective to ensure that what you intend to present is being clearly perceived.
- It is a good idea to test your site for ease of use by asking some friends or clients to assess the pages. Ask them whether it was easy or difficult to navigate the site and isolate any potential problem areas.
- Is your site SEO compliant? SEO refers to the process of optimising your web site so that the search engines will place it near the top of the list when people search for certain keywords. The structure of your website is also of vital importance for SEO.
- Keywords: Keywords or phrases should be carefully selected and you should try to find words that provide good search rates but which are not too highly competitive. In other words, you want words or phrases in your title, description and content that is often used in searches but which do not have too much competition from other companies. A good place to finds out which words and phrases would best suit your site is the Google Keywords tool (http://www.googlekeywordtool.com/) which also allows you to see the number of searches for each word or phrase as well as the competitiveness of a specific word or phrase.
- Are your Title and description metatags optimized?The title tag should contain important keywords to help the search engine determine what the page is about. Secondly, it is important that you compose your title tag with the human element in mind – in other words, try to think what would most likely attract your intended viewer. The title is extremely important in that it tells the search engines what your page is about. Title tags should be a maximum of 70 characters long, including spaces.
- Quality, updated content is essential. Content has become a central aspect of web site promotion. Good quality content is one of the most important ways of attracting people to your site. Gone are the days when it was sufficient for a site to be merely an online advert for a service or product. Modern web sites have to offer value to the client or visitor and this value can be understood as insightful, visually attractive and informative content.
- Do you have an active blog? Blogs have developed into an important content medium – and a means of attracting visitors and clients to your site. You can create a blog on your site or use one of the many free blogging sites such as Blogger.com and WordPress.com that supply you with a template and tools that help you to create your own blog.
- Social media and networking. Using social media to promote your web site is essential. The various social networks provide a great opportunity to promote and advertise your site. However, be prepared to put in some time in developing your social networks as they require continual input and measurement to promote your site successfully. There are a number of social networks that are central and which you should consider. These are Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Plus and Pinterest.
View our Site Creator Hosting package